Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lock Me Up

I couldn't sleep tonight, that is why I have finally been able to update my blog. Story of the day...

I had to run some errands before taking Alyssa to Dance today. I needed to mail a package at the Post Office and try to run to Staples. The Post Office took a little longer than expected with the lines, if you have been to the post office you know what I am talking about.

Anyway, I left the kids in the car while I ran in to mail my package. I could see them through the glass door, I locked them in too. I must have been in there 10 minutes and when I get out there is an older lady at my car with the doors open. Doesn't typically surprise me, since Alyssa knows how to open them. She told me the car alarm was going off, because Alyssa was opening the door. I came out during the process and had to hurry to get home.

Anyway, I was on my way to taking Alyssa and her friend Kaci to dance when Damon called me and said that a Syracuse Cop came to the door and said that someone called the Police to tell them I left my kids in the car. I was floored. I couldn't believe it. This Cop was coming to check on the kids and acted like it really was no big deal.

At about 8:00 tonight another Syracuse Cop came out to check on the kids and talk to me, since I wasn't home the first time. He got back in his car and called the Layton police to see what they were going to do. He came back and said that they were going to basically give me a warning and if I didn't it again that I would be doubly fined. I said OK and was grateful that this was over.

That is what I thought. About 9:00 I get a call from the Layton Police station asking me questions again. He decided that he was going to report me to Child Abuse and send a report to the attorney and judges and they would decide if they would prosecute. I was floored again. So no it is a waiting game to see if I get summoned for court or not. Yeah.

So, since then my body as been on a buzz and I can't sleep, hence all the updates tonight. I really didn't think leaving my kids in the car for 10 minutes, while I could see them was such a big deal. I can see if it was 100 degrees outside, or if I couldn't see them through the window, but I guess since Layton had a kid die this summer that way, they have made it into a huge deal. I just hope I can talk my way out of it if it does go further.

I don't need any pity, and I don't need to be chewed out further, but wanted to warn all those Mom's out there to take your kids with you into any store or any anywhere, even though it may be inconvienent, or you think you will be just a minute.

5 comments:

Adree said...

Oh great. I always leave my kids into the car for just a few minuted to run in somewhere. I'm with you. What harm can be done if it's not too hot and not too cold and I can see them. I mean really people lets not waste so much time trying to accuse an innocent mom and go catch some really criminals.

The Shelton Family said...

I can't believe that!! How dumb. You'll have to let us know what happens.

Deru's said...

wow that is horrible. I hate situations like that because they make you doubt your ability as a mother. The other day i was punishing by dog because he bit Gracie and some guy walking down the street yelled at me and said that is no way to treat an animal so then i really did feel guilty when i did nothing wrong. Anyway dont let it get you down your kids are adorable and you a wonderful mom.

Shanna said...

Oh my!!! I leave the kids in the car all the time. I think because you were at the post office you get a lot of crazies. Good luck. Know that everyone leaves their kids in the car. It is the easiest way when you have a 5 second stop and don't want to haul out 3 kids.

kaylafina said...

Aubrey,
This is crazy! If anyone is a good mom, it is you. I will testify in your behalf. Your kids are so cute, by the way. It is a dead tie with Briena. You guys are so lucky!! Anyway, how are you?
Kayla